Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Alton Towers Future

Alton Towers Future

David Scott

Posted:
10/19/99 at
11:43:35 AM

Views: 298

Alton Towers. Rated as the UK's best theme park (generally). So, it does have Nemesis (the best scream machine anywhere), Oblivion and Ripsaw, but the rest of the parks rides are very, very poor. UG land is little more than a joke. Any ideas on how to improve the whole park. Here's a few of my suggestions - 1 Get rid of Corkscrew, the most painful coaster in the world. 2 Rebuild the Black hole into something more akin to Space Mountain (the Paris version), preferably with B&M inverted track. 3 Replace Cred street completely. Even 5 year olds find this area cheesy. (believe me, I know from a few years ago) 4 Keep the park open all year. Yes, I know England is cold, wet and horrible in Winter but my addiction to Nemesis cannot go unsated. 5 Reduce the height limitations on the big rides. Repeated cries of I want to go on Nemesis come to mind. 6 And perhaps most of all, cut the queue length on Oblivion, it isn't really worth 2 hours waiting - even in a virtual queue.

And before all of you jump up and shout at point 3 loudly that there has to be gentler rides for the gentler folks ask yourself the following. Do you genuinely know anybody that goes to a theme park to go on such rides. Didn't think so. Even young families in general will not go to a park for it's weak rides. And before you shout at that, EVERYBODY that I know, regardless of age, that has been to Walt Disney World has gone on Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain at least twice.

Re: Alton Towers Future by Cal at 10/19/99 12:40:46 PM

I don't think Alton is the best park in the UK but some of your suggestions aren't really feasible. For starters, Tussauds would love to build higher than tree height but the local authorities won't let them. They also have a tight budget to stick to and it's not always possible to build new rides, so rethemeing old rides (Corky, Blade, Black Hole) is the best option they've got.

They are starting to do winter weekends with part of the park open - there are Oblivion days and Nemesis days - so you can ride through part of the winter. However, they do need some down time to service the rides and maintain the park.

Personally, I think they need to build a woodie. There are some great smaller woodies - the Grand National is around 60 foot high; Phoenix is a brilliant ride and only 78 foot, and MegaFobia is under 90. There's no reason why they can't do something like this.

Cal

Re: Alton Towers Future by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 10/20/99 12:53:25 PM

About the height restriction on the big rollercoasters, its ain't possible. The restraints were designed to be able to safely protect riders with a minimum height. All Inverted coasters in the world got a 54 inches restriction. B+M OTS are made that way.

You think parks got unlimited money???? Like Cal said, budget is tight. Consider yourself lucky that a park like Alton Towers with its height limit and money could have Nemesis and Oblivion. Alton Towers is not own by Premier ( and I hope its will never be ) and thus does not have unlimited ( not really, but with the $$$$$ they spend on rides.... ) financial ressources.

Re: Alton Towers Future by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 10/20/99 12:55:11 PM

: I don't think Alton is the best park in the UK
: but some of your suggestions aren't really
: feasible. For starters, Tussauds would love
: to build higher than tree height but the
: local authorities won't let them. They also
: have a tight budget to stick to and it's not
: always possible to build new rides, so
: rethemeing old rides (Corky, Blade, Black
: Hole) is the best option they've got. They
: are starting to do winter weekends with part
: of the park open - there are Oblivion days
: and Nemesis days - so you can ride through
: part of the winter. However, they do need
: some down time to service the rides and
: maintain the park. Personally, I think they
: need to build a woodie. There are some great
: smaller woodies - the Grand National is
: around 60 foot high; Phoenix is a brilliant
: ride and only 78 foot, and MegaFobia is
: under 90. There's no reason why they can't
: do something like this. Cal

Re: Alton Towers Future by David at 10/21/99 9:38:15 AM

I can appreciate what you say about safety - I wouldn't want to go on a dangerous ride. My comments on height restrictions were not were based on a certain pair of 8 year old's (my children, obviously), that are determined to go on Nemesis, despite being too small, which resulted in a 4 week 'whinging' session (I'm Certain you know what I mean. I can also appreciate that money is also difficult to get to build up parks - as a mature student I know all about the problems of $$$$ (or the lack of it). Maybe the Tussauds Group (who own Alton Towers among otherthings) could do what WDW does and get sponsors for the parks rides. I don't think a few adverts would hurt that badly if it meant extra 'park development funds'.

Re: Alton Towers Future by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 10/21/99 11:13:44 AM

Advertising can be good if its not blatantly appearing everywhere. I've remarked a trend in England: naming rides after the sponsor. Examples are the Pepsi Max Big One, Playstation The Ride, Pepsi Cola Loop or the 7up Shockwave. If they get sponsors, let's hope they'll keep good original names like Ripsaw, Vampire and Nemesis.

Re: Alton Towers Future by Pete at 10/21/99 4:54:57 PM

: Advertising can be good if its not blatantly
: appearing everywhere. I've remarked a trend
: in England: naming rides after the sponsor.
: Examples are the Pepsi Max Big One,
: Playstation The Ride, Pepsi Cola Loop or the
: 7up Shockwave. If they get sponsors, let's
: hope they'll keep good original names like
: Ripsaw, Vampire and Nemesis.

I live in England and I have never heard of the Pepsi Cola Loop. Where is it? what type of coaster is it?

Re: Alton Towers Future by Cal at 10/22/99 5:44:24 AM

I live in England and I have never heard of the
: Pepsi Cola Loop. Where is it? what type of
: coaster is it?

Maybe he means the Irn Bru Revolution - I think it was sponsored by Pepsi at one stage. But don't forget the Pepsi Max drop in the Trocadero, and the slightly more imaginative Traumatizer (sponsored by Tizer of course!) at Southport.

As for marketing, Alton tends to be a bit more subtle. There were Oblivion condoms and body spray on sale at Boots last year, and when they launched Nemesis they also produced a disgusting blackcurrant/liquorice fizzy drink that was on sale in all the supermarkets.

Cal

Re: Alton Towers Future by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 10/22/99 1:18:47 PM

Tizer????? What's that?? I live in Quebec and never heard of that.

Thanks god, here in America, we're aren't victims of savage advertising like you do.

The park I go most of the time, La Ronde, has advertisement on 2 rides really. The New for 1999 ride, The Orbite, is sponsored by Molson Dry, a brand of beer in Canada. But you only see their logo at the entrance and at the top of the tower, but from the ground and on the ride, you can't see it. The other advertisement is on Le Monstre and its a bit special.

In the lines for track 1, there are boards that does advertising for a new experience. Just before you enter the loading station, you can rent a pair of headphones for 2$ CAN. These headphones lets you hear the ride soundtrack. You must seat in the last 3 cars of the train ( the back for the best ride ). You plug you headphones in the train, then you're off! Its a Formula 1 simulation, synchronised with the ride. I can't go on lenght to explain how that work, but its incredible, adds a lot to an already gret ride.

Re: Alton Towers Future by Moose at 10/26/99 4:15:05 AM

: Tizer????? What's that?? I live in Quebec and
: never heard of that. Thanks god, here in
: America, we're aren't victims of savage
: advertising like you do.

I'd have to disagree with that. I just got back from Florida after two weeks trauling the parks there and although I was on the most part very impressed with the parks and rides, it dismayed me to see so many big corporations slapping their logos all over the rides.

Eg. "ET the Ride (Universal Studios) is brought to you by AT&T"

I also remember seeing ads for Hess, Coca Cola and Exxon at different points on my travels.

Even in the Magic Kingdom Space Mountain has FedEx logos plastered all over it (ol' Walt must be turning in his grave).

It doesn't bother me enough to stop me going to these places but it does ruin overall impression given by the theming.

Theres my tuppence worth.

Moose

Moose's Coaster Planet

Re: Alton Towers Future by Cal at 10/26/99 7:49:16 AM

Tizer's a pretty digusting fizzy drink - very sickly. Not that I've drunk it since I was a kid!

The headphones sound intriguing but if they tried that on rides with overheads I don't think the phones would stay on very easily with all that headbanging!

Cal

Re: Alton Towers Future by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 10/26/99 9:53:03 AM

The headphones are really cool. They stay in place with a velcro strap that goes under the chin and a strap that goes behind the head as well, plus the usual strap found on any headphones. The sound is pretty clear and its really is synchronised with the ride. Well worth the 2$ ( I took the season pass for that for 8$ and rode it 50 times with the headphones this season and 20 times without them ).

Re: Alton Towers Future by Moose at 10/27/99 4:42:09 AM

: The headphones are really cool. They stay in
: place with a velcro strap that goes under
: the chin and a strap that goes behind the
: head as well, plus the usual strap found on
: any headphones. The sound is pretty clear
: and its really is synchronised with the
: ride. Well worth the 2$ ( I took the season
: pass for that for 8$ and rode it 50 times
: with the headphones this season and 20 times
: without them ).

What a bizarre way of doing it! Why not sink speakers into every seat ala Space Mtn (DLP) and Rock'N'Rollercoaster?

I have to admit, listening to Aerosmith as you zip around the latter really did bias my opinion of the ride...

Moose

Moose's Coaster Planet

Re: If you thought FedEx's Space Mtn. was bad..... by CoastaPlaya at 10/27/99 9:03:26 AM

I'd have to disagree with that. I just got back
: from Florida after two weeks trauling the
: parks there and although I was on the most
: part very impressed with the parks and
: rides, it dismayed me to see so many big
: corporations slapping their logos all over
: the rides. Eg. "ET the Ride (Universal
: Studios) is brought to you by AT&T" I
: also remember seeing ads for Hess, Coca Cola
: and Exxon at different points on my travels.
: Even in the Magic Kingdom Space Mountain
: has FedEx logos plastered all over it (ol'
: Walt must be turning in his grave). It
: doesn't bother me enough to stop me going to
: these places but it does ruin overall
: impression given by the theming. Theres my
: tuppence worth. Moose

...you should have seen it in the 70's when it was RCA's Space Mountain. Not only was it plastered with logos, you couldn't leave without this annoying 5-minute POST-SHOW (on a moving walkway) where they held your nose and shoved every RCA product down your throat.

This came complete with annoying theme music, "R-C-AAAAAA! Leads the way!"

I still have nightmares.

-CPlaya

Re: Alton Towers Future by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 10/27/99 8:36:52 PM

Who do you think created that??? Its a guy like you and me who had a brilliant idea! He created his company, then he developped the system. How much do you think on board audio with speakers cost? Ok, here are the components:

1- shockproof processor with a HDD per car

2- 5 speakers ( 6 for DLP SM ) per seats

3- all the wirings required to make it work

Multiply that by six for DLP SM and by 5 for RRNC. Only Disney and Universal have the $$$$$$ for that ( Premier prefer clones, Paramount prototypes and Busch coasters with lots of theming ). Small parks don't have the $$$$ for that, even less La Ronde.

The problem with La Ronde is that its own by the town of Montreal and a governement organism, they like the profits the park makes, but they hate to invest it. For example, this year we got Orbite, a used 150 feet Space Shot. In 1998, a new movie for the simulator, Super Volcanosor 3-D ( Escape from Dino Island 3-D ). In 1997, a Huss Top Spin. 1996, no rides, except a new multimedia movie shown on water screens on the lake. 1995, we had the Cobra, a 1988 Giavanola Stand-up that came from Finland. 1994, an Intamin enclosed themed twister named the Dragon.

As you can see, in the recent years, no major sums of money were invested and its will continue next year, as the park will move a few rides, buy a few kiddie rides and perhaps add a flat ride. For 2001, rumors of a used coaster are floating around. A friend of mine who is an employee at La Ronde said they wanted an Inverted coaster. There are only one used for sale in the world, Gambit in Japan. For many parks, that's a problem, but La Ronde was able to move Le Cobra from Finland. The close proximity to a seaport is also a factor in favor of La Ronde. Given the cost of B+M inverted coasters, that whould not surprise me if B+M whould make an apparition in Canada ( at last!, maybe that will decide PCW to add one! )

Here's where our person comes into play, small parks don't have the $$$$ for onboard sound systems like Disney, but, with his system, he provides an alternative. Its only requires minor modifications to the trains and tracks.