Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Will Altyon Towers ever get a woodie?

Will Altyon Towers ever get a woodie?

Raptor Timmy

Posted:
10/8/99 at
8:21:13 AM

Views: 269

Do they have a rule forbidding a wooden coaster?They keep adding steel coasters but no woodies?

Re: Will Alton Towers ever get a woodie? by Pete at 10/8/99 4:34:03 PM

: Do they have a rule forbidding a wooden
: coaster?They keep adding steel coasters but
: no woodies?

We would all love to see AT get a woodie you could get a nice 80ft twister on an out and back in the back of UG land but I seem to think that the Alton management seem to think it has to be a massive one but height restrictions are again stopping them build one that high and I would not like one dug in a hole cause it would make it a mess . So if if Altons management had there heads screwed on and did not keep thinking about the size and the thouroughput of the rides and realised that size does not matter of a woodie as long as it gives airtime and it is themed well or not themed at all it would be a crowd puller no matter what.

Later

Pete

Re: Will Alton Towers ever get a woodie? by Cal at 10/11/99 6:34:08 AM

We would all love to see AT get a woodie you
: could get a nice 80ft twister on an out and
: back in the back of UG land but I seem to
: think that the Alton management seem to
: think it has to be a massive one but height
: restrictions are again stopping them build
: one that high and I would not like one dug
: in a hole cause it would make it a mess . So
: if if Altons management had there heads
: screwed on and did not keep thinking about
: the size and the thouroughput of the rides
: and realised that size does not matter of a
: woodie as long as it gives airtime and it is
: themed well or not themed at all it would be
: a crowd puller no matter what. Later Pete

There's a rule about not building higher than tree height, but as Pete says, that's not too much of a restriction because The Grand National is only 60 feet tall and what a fantastic ride that is! The main problem, though, is noise - the locals are very touchy about it and woodies are perceived to be noisy. Pete's also right in so far as Alton wants to build firsts, so some sort of launched B&M has been talked about. But we'll see.

Cal