Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > OKTOBERFEST - REPORT!

OKTOBERFEST - REPORT!

Cal

Posted:
10/5/99 at
7:50:00 AM

Views: 270

Last week I managed to blag a night at Oktoberfest during a business trip, Being one of those strange, coaster-loving freakoids, I completely ignored the huge beer halls and went straight for Olumpia Looping, Anton's last travelling creation. This baby was absolutely flying and much improved over last year - it gets better and better. My poor boyfriend, whose first coaster ride it was, was quite overcome by the experience and could only speak in expletives for the next ten minutes. I think he liked it though!

I also rode the Intamin inverter, Eurostar, which was as fast, punchy and intense as ever, though a little rough on the right hand side of the trains (where I was sat). Still a very nice ride with plenty of stomach feeling on the drops.

StarWorld, formerly Magic Mountain, an indoor coaster with spinning cars and special effects, was running really well. I persuaded my shellshocked boyfriend onto it by saying it wasn't too intense, and then we got a car that span like a Waltzer all the way round! Unlike Crazy Mice, how much you spin tends to vary from one ride to the next and some rides I've had on it have hardly span at all. This night it was like a dervish and the poor bloke called me a liar after he'd staggered off, on account of the fact I'd assured him it was a nice fun ride, not too demanding. Ah well.

The Wilde Maus was there - in fact, both sides were at this fair. It's a double mouse, mirrored so that you race and the two mice hurtle towards each other at the top. The two halves are often split up so they can tour the smaller fairs separately.

I also rode Wildwasser, the big log flume. This has turntables and the first drop is backwards. You're then spun around the right way as you go though a tunnel filled with animatronics, water and fire effects! A split lift hill takes you up to the top after this, and you get a big drop, 90 degree turnaround and then another big drop to finish. Always fun and I'm constantly amazed that this thing travels!

Also did the Huss Shot and Drop, Night Fly (a Mondial Inferno ride - one of my favourite spin and spews), Frisbee (running long and fast and very pukey boyfriend turned green!) and Skater (Mondial Topscan - normally love these but after Frisbee I felt hellishly sick!)

Cal

Re: How many rides does Oktoberfest have? by Raptor Timmy at 10/8/99 5:00:14 PM

: Last week I managed to blag a night at
: Oktoberfest during a business trip, Being
: one of those strange, coaster-loving
: freakoids, I completely ignored the huge
: beer halls and went straight for Olumpia
: Looping, Anton's last travelling creation.
: This baby was absolutely flying and much
: improved over last year - it gets better and
: better. My poor boyfriend, whose first
: coaster ride it was, was quite overcome by
: the experience and could only speak in
: expletives for the next ten minutes. I think
: he liked it though! I also rode the Intamin
: inverter, Eurostar, which was as fast,
: punchy and intense as ever, though a little
: rough on the right hand side of the trains
: (where I was sat). Still a very nice ride
: with plenty of stomach feeling on the drops.
: StarWorld, formerly Magic Mountain, an
: indoor coaster with spinning cars and
: special effects, was running really well. I
: persuaded my shellshocked boyfriend onto it
: by saying it wasn't too intense, and then we
: got a car that span like a Waltzer all the
: way round! Unlike Crazy Mice, how much you
: spin tends to vary from one ride to the next
: and some rides I've had on it have hardly
: span at all. This night it was like a
: dervish and the poor bloke called me a liar
: after he'd staggered off, on account of the
: fact I'd assured him it was a nice fun ride,
: not too demanding. Ah well. The Wilde Maus
: was there - in fact, both sides were at this
: fair. It's a double mouse, mirrored so that
: you race and the two mice hurtle towards
: each other at the top. The two halves are
: often split up so they can tour the smaller
: fairs separately. I also rode Wildwasser,
: the big log flume. This has turntables and
: the first drop is backwards. You're then
: spun around the right way as you go though a
: tunnel filled with animatronics, water and
: fire effects! A split lift hill takes you up
: to the top after this, and you get a big
: drop, 90 degree turnaround and then another
: big drop to finish. Always fun and I'm
: constantly amazed that this thing travels!
: Also did the Huss Shot and Drop, Night Fly
: (a Mondial Inferno ride - one of my
: favourite spin and spews), Frisbee (running
: long and fast and very pukey boyfriend
: turned green!) and Skater (Mondial Topscan -
: normally love these but after Frisbee I felt
: hellishly sick!) Cal

On TV it looks like they are packed with all kinds of rides and it looks huge. Is it expensive to ride? Oktoberfest is one place I always wanted to go.

Re: How many rides does Oktoberfest have? by Cal at 10/11/99 6:38:47 AM

On TV it looks like they are packed with all
: kinds of rides and it looks huge. Is it
: expensive to ride? Oktoberfest is one place
: I always wanted to go.

I couldn't tell you how many in total, but there were four major coasters (Olympia Looping, EuroStar, StarWorld and Wilde Maus), a triple drop log flume, a Huss shot and drop, a powered mine train, a very big Ferris wheel and a whole load of spin and spews. It's definitely worth going. This year rides varied between 6 and 9DMs (2 - 3, or $3 to $4.50 approx). The bigger rides were the most expensive, obviously.

Cal