Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Future of CCI's in Europe

Future of CCI's in Europe

Wendigo

Posted:
9/30/99 at
6:06:02 PM

Views: 303

After what seemed to be a good start for CCI woodies in Europe-Megaphobia in 1996, Torrne de Zues and Stampeda in 1997, it seemed that every other plan for a new CCI in Europe has fallen through. I remember watching on a T.V documentary about coaster a couple of years back where the head of CCI was interviewed, and he mentioned that their main desire was to build at least one coaster overseas in addition to coasters in the U.S. Has CCI lost interest in building coasters in Europe? -Wendigo

Re: Future of CCI's in Europe by Mr Aitch at 10/1/99 6:04:09 PM

: After what seemed to be a good start for CCI
: woodies in Europe-Megaphobia in 1996, Torrne
: de Zues and Stampeda in 1997, it seemed that
: every other plan for a new CCI in Europe has
: fallen through. I remember watching on a T.V
: documentary about coaster a couple of years
: back where the head of CCI was interviewed,
: and he mentioned that their main desire was
: to build at least one coaster overseas in
: addition to coasters in the U.S. Has CCI
: lost interest in building coasters in
: Europe? -Wendigo

I think you'll find that the head of CCI is a she ,Denise Dinn-Larrick (Charlie Dinn's daughter) They probably haven't "lost interest" ,just nobody is placing orders .

Re: Future of CCI's in Europe by Bobbyjaan at 10/2/99 8:24:08 AM

: After what seemed to be a good start for
: CCI...
: Has CCI
: lost interest in building coasters in
: Europe? -Wendigo

I dont think they have lost interest, but I think they got a lot of bad publicity for Stampida at Port Aventura both in terms of quality of work and finances. Unfortunately the industry is so close-knit it does not take long for gossip to spread around the parks and this can do considerable damage.

Also, you have to bear in mind that Europe is far more difficult to break into, particularly Germany which is monopolised by the all-powerful TUV organization (which is nowhere near as good as they would have people believe). Also CCI are now up against the likes of Intamin and Vekoma who are offering 'turn-key' timber coaster packages, with all the benefits of after sales service plus a well-established reputation.

These manufacturers may not be actually designing or building the rides (just supplying things like the trains, brakes etc) and indeed will use other companies such as RCCA and Werner Stengel to do the construction and design.

The likes of CCI trying to 'go it alone' have really got their work cut out trying to get into mainland Europe.

Re: Future of CCI's in Europe by Greg at 10/8/99 4:30:29 PM

I think you'll find that the head of CCI is a
: she ,Denise Dinn-Larrick (Charlie Dinn's
: daughter) They probably haven't "lost
: interest" ,just nobody is placing
: orders .

There are new woodies being built in Europe but not by CCI. The main reason for this is CCI's track (no pun!) record. They have a very bad reputation for badly built rides (great to ride, but not very well manufactured and designed). Euro parks talk a lot more openly than the USA ones seem to do and I think this has put people off CCI. Shame, but I guess they have themselves to blame. Greg.

Re: Future of CCI's in Europe by Masher! at 10/25/99 9:05:03 PM

I think you'll find that the head of CCI is a
: she ,Denise Dinn-Larrick (Charlie Dinn's
: daughter) They probably haven't "lost
: interest" ,just nobody is placing
: orders .

Ah, glad to see that good old Capitalism and Supply and demand principles are alive and well in Europe :-).