Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Camelot

Camelot

cosmiccarrie

Posted:
11/28/01 at
6:58:21 AM

Views: 110

Since first hearing about the tragedy at Camelot, I have wondered what the consequences of the accident were. I have heard of no updates.

Does anyone have an update on how the tragedy happened and what effect this will have on Camelot?

Carrie

Re: Camelot by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/28/01 2:29:07 PM

A lot of us wondered which direction Camelot was going to go in even before this tragedy. The Rumour Mill had it that the park had been denied permission to build a steel coaster with a height greater than its drop (sounded like a shuttle, maybe a Giant Inverted Boomerang).

I'd certainly be interested to know how the accident happened. If it was not Camelot's fault, I don't see any reason why they would not continue in a vaguely "thrill ride" direction.

Graeme

Re: Camelot by Skydave at 11/29/01 10:57:36 AM

Given that I live all of half an hour from the park; it's telling that virtually nobody; either locals or those from further away haven't heard about it... I bet they would have if they had an invertigo by now.

Even the accident hasn't really 'negatively advertised' the park; at most there had only been a 5 second spot on the local news. Which is quite disgusting considering the national coverage the crashes on the Big One have had; with no fatalities.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what actually happened in the accident.

As far as I know, the park is struggling on, but I can't see it lasting, not without some major improvement somewhere along the line, soon.

Respects to those lost.

-Dave

> Since first hearing about the tragedy at Camelot,
> I have wondered what the consequences of the
> accident were. I have heard of no updates.

> Does anyone have an update on how the tragedy
> happened and what effect this will have on
> Camelot?

> Carrie

Re: Camelot by Fraser Fraser Profile at 11/29/01 6:03:15 PM

> As far as I know, the park is struggling on, but
> I can't see it lasting, not without some major
> improvement somewhere along the line, soon.

This is a pity because it is one of Britain's only "true" theme parks. It also has one of the best-named dark rides in the country "Cats of The Round Table"! I'd really love to hear from anybody who has been on it, and what they thought.

Re: Camelot by Lyndon at 11/29/01 7:41:16 PM

> A lot of us wondered which direction Camelot was
> going to go in even before this tragedy. The
> Rumour Mill had it that the park had been denied
> permission to build a steel coaster with a height
> greater than its drop (sounded like a shuttle,
> maybe a Giant Inverted Boomerang).

> I'd certainly be interested to know how the
> accident happened. If it was not Camelot's fault,
> I don't see any reason why they would not
> continue in a vaguely "thrill ride"
> direction.

> Graeme

I've heard from a reliable source that the accident was "avoidable" & that the *park* (ie-management) was not at fault. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions!

Re: Camelot by drachen_fire at 12/4/01 3:29:42 PM

> Rumour Mill had it that the park had been denied
> permission to build a steel coaster with a height
> greater than its drop (sounded like a shuttle,
> maybe a Giant Inverted Boomerang).

the ride you are refering to, was a PAX rides inverted shuttle coaster, although it would have been a great compliment to the tower of terror coaster [ which was been removed before fire . . intresting ;)] it certainly couldn't have replaced it as its not strong enough to be the only big coaster.

Camelot have recived planning permission to build an extension on the hotel and some self catering units, which sounds the start of a holiday park. I believe the this is the direction the park will go, which is a shame as it is one of the uk's few THEMED theme parks!

lightwater's lair

Re: Camelot by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/4/01 4:11:05 PM

> Camelot have recived planning permission to build
> an extension on the hotel and some self catering
> units, which sounds the start of a holiday park.
> I believe the this is the direction the park will
> go, which is a shame as it is one of the uk's few
> THEMED theme parks!

Oh well, maybe it will be a "theme park resort". They were never going to get anywhere with the minor rides they had. They can't be turning it into a straightforward holiday park (ie, one that's not a theme park) though - it's right on the M6! Who would want to stay there?!

Thanks for revealing the planned coaster as a Pax. I agree with you that it would not really have been a huge deal. Maybe they can concentrate on theming from now on and exceed the big theme parks in this department.

Graeme