Designed by Frank Prior and Frederick Church, the Giant Dipper is one of only two remaining seaside wooden coasters in the state of California. Located at Belmont Park beside Mission Beach, the Giant Dipper began operating on July 4, 1925 and continued to operate until it closed in December 1976. Shortly after closing the roller coaster was designated a National Historic Landmark which helped save it from destruction. After 14 years of non-operation the Giant Dipper reopened after a successful preservation effort by the Save the Coaster Committee. Once again, the restored Giant Dipper offers thrills with its curving first drop, multiple hills, sharp curves and high speeds.
|1925||Wood||Twister||Prior & Church|
|Height: 70 feet||Drop: 62 feet|
|Top Speed: 45 mph||Length: 2,600 feet|
|Trains: 2 - 24 passenger||Train Mfg: Morgan Manufacturing|
July 4, 1925 - The Giant Dipper opens
1950's - Renamed "Roller Coaster" thus retiring the Giant Dipper name.
July 1976 - The ride is renamed "Earthquake" for a short period until it closed in December.
August 11, 1990 - After 14 years the Giant Dipper reopens after being completely restored.
Train has six cars with two rows each, seating two abreast per row.
Find Where to Coast™ with Ultimate Rollercoaster® Database
Where to Coast™, Rollercoaster Yellowpages™ are trademarks of Ultimate Rollercoaster®.